Monday, February 22, 2010

A Way To Fund Everyone?

As I mentioned in my last blog, I believe college is a personal venture. Thus, it should be personally earned. However, "earned" can be a very vague term. There are many programs that exist and many programs that could be established in order to earn this.
The way the G.I. Bill works, you actually pay for a small portion ( I'd say less than 10%, but that's out of heavy guess-timating) during your first year and a half in the military, if you decide you want the G.I. Bill. Once you get out, you have a set number of years to utilize the G.I. Bill, or you lose it. The thing is, so many soldiers pay for this and never actually use it. The G.I. Bill, while not quite self-sustaining, has quite a bit of help from these people who pay for its use and later decide they do not need a college education.
Government programs could be set up like this through other government jobs. Local prisons are practically always looking for new guards. A program similar to the G.I. Bill could help recruit prison guards while offering a way through college.
Achievement-based and GPA-based scholarships are also a way to earn your education, but the question comes to being on how to fund more scholarships.

No comments:

Post a Comment