Monday, February 8, 2010

Warning!! The following blog may contain ideas and comments offensive to Southern stereotypes.

While I've lived all over the east coast, I was too young to remember most of it. My father was in the military, but got out before I was old enough to start forming long-lasting memories.
Through most of my childhood, I lived in Prattville, but due to my father's inconsistent work habits, we were moved all over Alabama during my High School years. This made school difficult, as we went to multiple schools a year.
I remember my absolute worst time in moving was when we moved to Sylycauga... if I'm even spelling that name right. As we were heading towards our new home, we stopped by one of the few gas stations we came across in the middle of the woods. This gas station displayed a brightly-colored posterboard sign in the window that read, as if it were a big deal, "WE NOW SERVE PIZZA!!" I almost started crying at that.
Soon after, we moved to Blountsville, Alabama. Now, don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with Southern stereotypes. However, the majority of the population in this town were not just typical southerners; they were complete ignorant hicks. The rest of the population were Mexican immigrants, so given my choice in people to hang out with... well, I learned Spanish. Given, not all of the white population there were total hillbillies, but everyone at least hung out with people of those type. I figured learning a second language would be MUCH easier than trying to get along with people that couldn't understand half of the things I tried to tell them anyway.
We moved back to Prattville after my father was caught cheating on my mom with a toothless trailer-park-bound redneck woman named Teresa. There I remained until I joined the army. After six months training in Kentucky, I was stationed in Ft. Hood, TX.
The only reason any of the area around Ft. Hood flourished at all was because the most-populated military base in the U.S. was there. Because of this, almost all of the businesses catered or advertised to military personnel. Living there was neat. Because of the military, you had people from all walks of life and all areas of the U.S. Unfortunately, this also meant you had people with driving habits from all over the U.S. You could almost guess by looking at a liscence plate just how long the light would be green before someone finally decided to go, or if the guy was gonna even going to stop at the red light.
I was deployed to Iraq for a year, so you could say I practically lived there. Of course, the fact that people were constantly trying to kill me may have slightly negatively affected my opinion, but I honestly liked many of the customs in that area.
Anyway, after that, I was sent back to Ft. Hood, then when I got out of the military, I moved back to Prattville. I kind of need to wrap this blog up, so no pretty shiny all-inclusive ending statement of this blog for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment