Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Internet Opinion

The internet is a double-edged sword, in my opinion, when it comes to its effect on the ideas of its users.
It's probably pretty obvious by now that I do not hold much faith in people, and to me, the internet seems to be a place where the teeming masses join together to agree on entirely uneducated opinions passed down onto them by their mommies and daddies.
Let's take this as an example: on one of my vlogs, I used to make very neutral political statements after days- sometimes weeks- of researching platforms and political history of candidates. I would try to be fair when mentioning both positives and negatives in all parties involved.
Of course, this got only negative attention. Conservatives flamed me for being too liberal. Those on the far left bashed me for being too far right. Apparently, the only opinions the majority of people online can comprehend are black and white, one extreme or the other. People assumed that because I did not agree with everything about their chosen party, I was against their party. Never did I get a comment or video response dealing with arguments supported by facts or research. Instead, most of the responses were from those using slogans and jargon often quoted from heavily-biased news channels. Even worse, these people seemed to attempt to claim these ideas as their own, as if they were intellectual enough to consider the possibilities and come up with original or clever analogies. Eventually, I closed down my political vlog and opened up one for something that seemed to cater more to these people: Entertainment.
However, out of all the crap, one can occasionally find someone else that seems to have a more casual, yet calculating mind out here on the net. The internet- when used by someone that's trying to do more than repeat the cliche phrases they've heard a thousand times- can be an invaluable and irreplaceable tool. People with new ideas can share them, and in turn learn from one another.
Honestly, I think the negatives I've mentioned have less to do with the internet in itself and more with American society in general. We are used to having information spoon-fed to us, and combining this with internet's ability to make uneducated ( yet well-spoken) opinions more accessible, everything looks like it's just going to hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment