Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Key Players in My Life

Naturally, I've got all sorts of people that are a part of my life. Some are negative influences, others are positive. Some are even very bad people who have a positive effect by showing me what I DON'T want to be.
This brings me to my father. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't died of a meth overdose or hasn't been beaten into a coma by people he owes money. He lives in a trailer park, and for several years was supplying my little brother with drugs. He's ruined the family's life on several occasions over his own selfish whims, and is the epitome of what I don't want to be. Thus, he is probably the most positive influence of my life, because I know to avoid doing practically anything he did.
Next is my mother. She's more of a neutral aspect in my life. She means well, but she's practically been driven insane by my father. She is caring and supportive of the choices I make, as long as I don't get in her way. By "get in her way", I mean do anything she doesn't want me to do, or don't do anything she wants me to do.
What I feel is my most important influence in my life right now is my girlfriend, Nicole. I know most people seem to think that their significant other is extremely important (until the break up), but even if things go bad between us, she's helped me in ways that will affect me for the rest of my life.
For one, it was her influence that helped me to decide to get away from my mother and go to college. She continuously reminded me that I could do much better than the cold, leaking, broken-down home I was sharing with my mom, and I could avoid the stress my mom's constant screaming (occasionally at nothing at all) was causing.
She lent me the money I needed to move into the dorms- My G.I. Bill would handle the rest. She helps keep my mind on track towards school, and is a very supportive person. I only hope I can return everything she's done for me some day.

1 comment:

  1. My grandmother served the same role in my mother's life that your father is serving in yours. She turned out all right.

    ReplyDelete