Monday, February 15, 2010

Possible Future?

Well, as you could guess by my major in Communications with Emphasis in Dramatic Arts (aka Theater major, but if Val Winkelman hears me call it that, she'd eviscerate me or something), I want to have a life involved in theater or performing in some way.
Now what, exactly, I'd want to do in theater is up in the air. As long as I am involved in it, I think I will be happy. My top wish is to become a voice actor for Disney, but that's a very long shot. There's something about voice acting that I really enjoy. Your own body's limits are gone; it doesn't matter if you're 5'0", you can be the lead rather than the comic relief. It doesn't matter if your appearances are not ideal for the role. Only your voice has to match up.
This is not to say that it is, in any way, easier. Bad voice acting can entirely ruin a production- even the extras have to sound professional (as many theater-types would say, "there are no small parts- only small actors"), or all anyone will ever remember about the production is that one guy that sounded like crap.
Being able to support myself as a film or broadway actor would be nice, as well, but these, too are very long shots. In fact, it would be harder to do this than it would to become a voice actor. Cost of living in New York would be very difficult to support, and competition is fierce. As for film acting, it seems nearly entirely luck-based to get a role, and someone of my height of 5'6" would not likely get anything to brag about. Not to mention, filming is a very tiring and long process. In the one film I've been in, it took several hours to shoot a five-minute scene. I think the frustrations of screen filming are not worth the benefits unless you're getting paid like Johnny Depp or something.
Failing to become a voice actor, I would be happy being a high school theater teacher. To do this, I will have to take a specific amount of certain classes after I receive my BA. It will be difficult and expensive, but I believe teaching and inspiring children would be a great use of a life. I'll just have to have all of my students sign yearbooks for me. That way, if THEY ever get famous, I'll at least get some money off of that. =P

1 comment:

  1. Great voice actors . . . the first thing that pops into my head is an older animated film called The Secret of Nimh. Some great voices in that. The second thing that pops in is the Rankin Bass version of The Hobbit that I watched and listened to a bazillion times as a kid. Our elementary school library had the *record* of the R/B Hobbit. I used to check it out on Friday and listen to it all weekend, on my cheap plastic turntable, lying on my floor with my head between the speakers. I'd turn out the lights and the voices would take me to Middle Earth.

    ReplyDelete