Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Unnecessary Exposition, Continued!

Well, then. Last we left off, I was grumpily explaining that I didn't need the military. Well, I lied. You see, I had signed up for this nice little thing called the Montgomery G.I. Bill, which in the fall semester of 2009 was altered to allow the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill. I had been living with my mother, working a dead end job in a highly stressed home. I found an ad in a newspaper for Prattville's WOBT- Way Off Broadway Theater- mentioning auditions for Little Shop of Horrors. Now back in grade school, I was very active in school's theater, but I was a terrible actor. However, during my time in the army, I watched a few movies with actors such as Gary Oldman and Johnny Depp. I realized that in many of their roles, they were almost unrecognizable between roles. I think that this made me "get" acting. It wasn't about the actor at all; it was about the character they played.

I decided to audition for Little Shop, and... I ended up being the puppeteer for the gigantic plant puppet that ate up the characters. However, due to scheduling conflicts, I was also given an understudy role as Orin Scrivello, the sadistic dentist. This lead to several more roles at Prattville WOBT, my favorite being the spoiled Prince John in James Goldman's Lion In Winter.

Well, I had this nice little lump of money from the military waiting for my college education, and I had nothing left to lose. I decided to major in theater. This has already been a great move, even in my freshman year. While my unaccredited high school diploma meant I had to be a provisional student ( putting limiting factors on what classes I can take in my first three semesters), I have already built a large network in the local theater groups. This networking allowed me to land a role in my first professional play, S.K. Folks' Halo (Playing February at the Davis theater- ask me about tickets!) , as well as a speaking role in Spike Lee's "Son of the South" (coming 2011 !)

When I am not cast in whatever play, I keep my acting in practice with my two YouTube accounts, http://www.youtube.com/MADasinger and http://www.youtube.com/TheJokezOnYou . ( This post is just full of shameless plugs, huh?) The former YouTube account is where I do personal vlogs and practice monologues I plan to use for auditions, and the latter YouTube account, I imitate the Mark Hammil interpretation of Batman: The Animated Series' Joker. Seriously, you guys should go check it out or something.

Well, I've got other stuff to do in this English class. Ciao, Ja ne, See ya, and bye bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment