Monday, January 25, 2010

BLAH!

Okay, so this blog is supposed to be about what our topic will be for a literacy narrative. Here's the problem: I don't care about reading, nor do I find it difficult. It's just something to do, sometimes. I don't care about reading for the same reason I don't like to watch television. It's not interactive. It doesn't matter how I read the book; the words on the page will not change. Can I still watch television? Yes, easily. Can I still read a novel? It is much more time-consuming, but just as easy.
This is why I like video games. The games I play do involve a lot of reading, but I actually have much more influence on what occurs in the game. It is interactive, not something set in concrete like boring books, movies, or television programs.
I guess I'll just have to make some crap up for the literacy narrative. After all, I need to do it to maintain my GPA.

2 comments:

  1. I would contend that reading is highly interactive. The experience of a book is different for each person based on what he or she brings to the book. There's a whole school of literary theory based on this called reader-response criticism. For example when you and I read Piers Anthony's "On a Pale Horse" or Anne Rice's Interview With the Vampire," we picture different things in our heads. Anthony's Death looks different to you than he does to me. Rice's Lestat draws scorn from you and sympathy from me, or vice versa, based on where we've been and what we've done.

    That said, don't just make some crap up. I think you could make a literacy narrative out of games that involve a lot of reading and why they appeal to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yyyeeeaaah, I was obviously in a negative mood that day. I think that was the day that I was given practically the same assignment in Reading 0700... a class that irritates me to no end, as my latest blog mentions.

    ReplyDelete